Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Easy Basil Alfredo with Chicken

I made a yummy recipe off the back of San Giorgio Fettuccine Florentine pasta and I wanted to share it.  While I was making it Dave was playing in the snow with the boys, but Tanner didn't like getting sprayed in the face with snow while they were sledding, so he came in to help me "makes."  He loves to help "makes dinner."  So I let him stir.  Ever since he burned all 5 fingers in the summer he has been so good about only touching the handle to the oven door and the handles of pans.  He will tell me when he touches it "it's cold momma."
 Here's the finished dish, with a side of broccoli...
Here is what the recipe says...

1 TBL olive or vegetable oil
1 Large onion
3/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken
1 Cup milk
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 package (3 oz.) cream cheese, cubed
1 jar (7 oz.) roasted red peppers, drained and sliced into thin strips (optional)
1 package (12 oz.) San Giorgio Fettuccine Florentine, uncooked
1/2 Cup grated Parmesan cheese

In large skillet over medium heat, heat oil; add onion.  Cook until lightly browned, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add chicken; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until thoroughly cooked.  Stir in milk and basil; heat just to boiling.  Reduce heat; add cream cheese and peppers, stirring frequently, until cream cheese melts and sauce is smooth.  Keep warm.  Cook pasta according to package directions.  Stir Parmesan cheese into sauce.  Toss hot pasta and sauce; serve immediately.  6 servings.

I used the 1/3 fat free cream cheese, and I don't know why it says a 3 ounce package, I've never seen a 3 oz. package.  I always buy the 8 oz, so I just the whole 8 oz. package and I thought it was fine.  I also drink skim milk and so I used skim milk.  I chopped my roasted red peppers in my Tupperware Quick Chef, I personally don't like chunks or slices of it, but I don't mind it if it's chopped.  And I like to cook my chicken the way I saw Rachael Ray do it, oh and I used 3 chicken breasts.  I cut the chicken up and when the onions started to caramelize I added the chicken to the pan.  You're not supposed to touch the chicken until the pieces start to separate on their own, I'm not very good at waiting and so I normally touch it earlier.  I peak at a piece and when it starts to get this nice brown color on the bottom, I wait as long as I can and then I stir it up.  It makes this nice color on the chicken and a wonderful flavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...