Friday, June 18, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

I canned for the first time ever!!!  Well, it's not real "canning" it's a water bath, but still... I canned!
I love Strawberry Rhubarb Jam!  And so this year, thanks to my wonderful in-laws fabulous garden and a friend who gave me the recipe... I made it myself!!  3 different batches equaling 24 jars!!  And it is sooooo yummy!!!!!  And very pretty too!!!  And I think the back splash in the background and the new counter top it's sitting on makes even better!!  :)
Now that I have a nice new kitchen, I feel the need to make fancier things, like strawberry rhubarb jam.  I'd pay like $5 a jar to buy this at TJ Maxx, in the gourmet food section.  And from Tastefully Simple it's not that cheap either.
My first batch turned out a little runny, I think I didn't boil it long enough.
So my second batch, I read the piece of paper that came with the pectin and it said to add a little butter to reduce the foam.  So I added a 1/4 of what they said to add because there was only a little bit of foam.  Well, I just kept waiting and waiting for this "full boil" expecting the foam... a few minutes went by and then I remembered I added the little bit of butter to not have foam... so I over boiled it.  But it was still yummy and edible!  
Now, my 3rd batch is nearly perfect... 3rd times the charm, right?
I'm so proud of myself for making this Jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...