Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas Ornaments

Here are 2 ornaments I made this year.
 I used our family picture from our Christmas card last year, I just love the picture.
 And I had Carolynn (my niece that I baby sit a couple days a week) dress up as Mary and gave her Jayden's baby doll to hold for baby Jesus.  And then I made this ornament for her.
Here are the pictures I printed for the ornaments...
 I created the background with some clip art of weathered wood, to try and make it look like the back of the stable.  And cut around the people and put it on top of the background I made.  I made the pictures 2.5"x3".
I spray painted Popsicle sticks that I cut in half to form the stable.  I think it would be neat if you turned the sticks the other direction to make if more 3D looking, but I was too lazy to paint the other side of the sticks.  I had the little wooden stars from another craft I did a few years ago.  And so I just painted them.  You could use foam and cut stars or whatever your little heart desires.
I printed the pictures on card stock, just to give it more stability.  And then I used spray adhesive to glue them to a cereal box, again just to  make it more sturdy.  Also if you do print them on regular paper, sometimes the spray adhesive goes through the paper and ruins the picture, but it doesn't go through card stock.  Then I mod podged over them twice, letting each coat dry for at least 20 minutes.  I did this because I printed it myself, the ink would smudge when glue touched it (when I attached the sticks) and it will help the picture to last longer.
I used regular Elmer's glue to attach the sticks.  I hot glued the star on and I put a piece of hemp underneath the star to hang it and to have a little extra hanging down.
I think they turned out pretty cute.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...