Monday, May 14, 2012

Birthday Boy Ribbons

I had seen the birthday boy ribbons that were in stores, they're really not that expensive but I thought I'd make my own anyway.  We were combining Tanner and Finns birthdays this year so I also made one for him to wear at the birthday party.  I think they turned out pretty cute...
I took some scrap fabric, cut a strip, like 5 inches wide or so and maybe 20 inches long.  I folded it in half, wrong sides together, sewed down close to the rough edges to hold it together.  Then I did a ruffle stitch to ruffle it.  It's so easy, all you do is set your sewing machine to the highest tension on mine it's a number 9 and the biggest stitch, on mine it's a 5.  And send it through, do NOT back stitch to start or stop. It should just ruffle as you sew!  Amazing!  But if you would like more or less of a ruffle, pull on one of the strings, you should just be able to see which one it is that you'll need to pull, if not... if the one you pull doesn't work, pull the other one.  While pulling the string you can adjust the ruffle.  Then put it in a circle shape, you made need to the cut if you think your circle is too big, but you will need to be very careful not to cut the ruffle stitch or your ruffles will come out!  It's not as complicated as it sounds.  Just cut the fabric without cutting the thread and using your seam ripper pull the threads out of the piece of fabric you're not using, but don't rip the threads.  Once you have it the way you want it, I tie a knot with my hands, just a basic knot, with the threads that were used to ruffle it, then snip the excess thread and sew your ends together and then zigzag the ends so it doesn't fray.
I hot glued it all together.
I hope all that makes sense.  But if you're a crafty person and know how to sew, you should really be able to figure it all out just by looking at the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...