Saturday, June 2, 2012

T-Shirt Makeover

Here is another t-shirt makeover I did.  I bought 2 t-shirts for $2.99 each, cut one in strips, I believe I did 1" wide and for the longer one I had to sew 2 together.  Ruffle them using your sewing machine, it's so easy!  Set your machine to the highest tension (mine is a 9) and the biggest stitch (mine is a 5) and run it through, do NOT back stitch.  It should just ruffle up as you go.  If not, when you're done, pull one of the threads to ruffle it by hand or to adjust the ruffles to the way you want them.  If the string you're pulling doesn't work, pull the other string.  Pin the ruffles to the shirt wherever you want them and sew them down with a medium stitch and auto tension, don't forget to change it back!  Also because you're working with knit make sure you are using a knit sewing needle (ball point) in your machine.  If your shirt doesn't stretch after sewing the ruffle on, use a bigger stitch.  I think I just used a 3 and it stretches just fine.  Next t-shirt I make over I'm going to cut my strips smaller, either 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch.  Oh and after it's sewn on I went back with a seam ripper and ripped out my ruffle stitch, it looked awful with it in.  So maybe you would want use a different color thread to ruffle it so it's easier to rip it out later, but I didn't think it was a problem for me.
I have plenty of the other shirt left over I want to make my baby girl a pair of shorts and leggins from it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...